When it comes to picking the best yoga mat for carpet, there are a few things you need to look out for.
That’s especially true because you need to find the right thickness, stability and texture to balance properly.
Otherwise, practicing yoga on a carpet floor isn’t going to be convenient.
So how do you pick the best one for you?
First of all, you need to look at comfort as well as manoeuvrability.
So below are the top 12 best yoga mats for carpet that you need to have on your radar.
Do Yoga Mats Work On Carpet?
The short answer is yes – yoga mats can work on carpet! And there are loads of options available (see our list of the top 12 in this article).
But you need to pick the right one. That’s because you need a yoga mat with grip, the right thickness and a texture that suits your carpet – without damaging it.
Some of the world’s top expert yoga experts have already recommended some yoga mats for carpet – which include The Lifeboard yoga mat and the Shantihi Yoga Mat (check them out below).
The Top 12 Best Yoga Mats For Carpet Floor (Pros, Cons & A Review Of Each Exercise Mat)
1. LifeBoard Yoga Mat
If you’re looking for a top quality yoga mat for your carpet, there aren’t many on the market better than the LifeBoard Yoga Mat.
This mat is very easy to fold and store in a closet (if you have one at home) plus it is perfect on medium to thick carpets.
- An amazing yoga mat that is perfect for carpets
- Lightweight and very thick
- A very convenient yoga mat to store and carry around on the go
- Made of 100% recycled materials
- The only downside of this yoga mat is the shipping price; it might a little too high for some yogis.
Although the shipping cost might put a few people off, it does have a variety of benefits such as it’s portability, easy to carry and being eco-friendly.
It’s thickness is perfect for carpet floors too.
2. HemingWeigh Yoga Mat
What makes this yoga mat so special for a carpet floor is its width and length.
This means that no matter your height and size, you’ll still be very comfortable using this mat during a yoga session.
Plus, the material it’s made from is latex free and perfect for those allergic to rubber.
- It is one of the most affordable mats on the market
- It’s a very thick mat – which is perfect for preventing injuries, creating stability on a carpet and adding a bit of cushion
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Doubles up as a camping mat if you need it
- Very comfortable for those outstretched poses because it’s 71 inches long
- Some customers think that the mat is too thickKnown to squeak and make a bit of noise whilst practicing yoga
Overall if you have any pain in your joints, this yoga mat’s thickness ensures you will have a pain free session.
However, the thickness might feel a little unusual for some yogis.
Personally, I prefer it because it gives more stability and balance when you’re practicing indoors on a carpet floor.
3. Gymenist Yoga Mat
The one thing that many people work about when it comes to yoga mats is suffering an injury during a session.
The Gymenist Yoga Mat keeps you safe during yoga practice and is perfect for carpet and wooden floors.
- A very affordable and high performing mat for anyone on a budget
- An amazing mat for physical therapy and healing practices
- A very thick mat that’s good for workouts, camping, tanning on the beach, yoga, pilates, and gymnastics.
- A very stable mat with a cool design that is very pleasing on the eye
- This mat isn’t very portable – might be too heavy for some people to carry
This yoga mat is worth buying because it’s odorless, durable, stable and if you happen to have a bad knee, you’ll get a lot of padding to reduce pain.
4. Premium Extra-Large Yoga Mat
Anyone who likes thinner mats for their yoga sessions needs to look elsewhere because this mat is very cushioned.
While the mat can get slippery when one sweats, this can easily be solved by placing objects on it to pin it down.
The extra thickness gives you more balance – meaning it’s better for practicing on a carpet floor.
- Very thick yoga mat – meaning you can enjoy the added balance & stability
- Comes with a towel and straps which is a nice little added bonus
- Ultra comfortable mat with a fantastic grip
- Made from eco-friendly materials
- Does not smell or have an odor
- It is not a very cheap mat because the price is a bit high compared to most of the mats on this list
- Gets very slippery when one gets sweaty palms
A lot of customers recommend this yoga mat for carpet floors – because it’s nice and sturdy.
5. Clever Yoga Mat
With a cool color, being lightweight, decent thickness, non slip surfrace and a good grip, this yoga mat ticks all the boxes for any yoga enthusiast looking to practice on a carpet.
However, it doesn’t really matter if you want to use it on a studio floor or a carpet, because this mat will do the job on any almost type of surface.
If you want to practice confidently – without the fear of slipping – the Clever Yoga Mat is a very good option.
- Doesn’t come with a new mat smell like most mats
- Very cushioned for extra comfort
- A sturdy non-slip yoga mat that has two sides and a funky color
- Very lightweight making it very easy for you to carry it around
- Offers good grip
- Does tend to slide a tiny bit when laid down on a carpet – but this really depends on the yoga positions you’re practicing
This yoga mat is also made from eco-friendly materials.
Some users report a little bit of sliding, especially if they’re jumping around on the yoga mat, so it’s not the sturdiest option when it comes to practicing yoga on a carpet floor.
That’s something you need to be aware of before you make a purchase.
6. Manduka Prolite Yoga and Pilates Mat
The Manduka Prolite Yoga and Pilates Mat is truly special and one of a kind.
It has so much going for it you can’t help but love this mat because it comes in two sizes which are 71 inches and 85 inches long, has a lifetime guarantee and is eco-friendly.
Note: Some reviewers did mention it can get a little slippery.
So yes, we love it for practicing yoga – but you do need to take care when it comes to practicing more vulnerable yoga positions.
- Those who need extra support with their joints will be happy to know it comes with cushioning
- A very easy mat to clean after use
- A great option for anyone who is allergic/sensitive to latex
- This mat is a little heavy to carry around
- Very expensive for anyone who practices yoga occasionally or is a beginner
Just like the Gymenist Yoga Mat on this list, anyone with bad knees or joints should consider this mat because its cushioning provides extra comfort.
7. Prana Indigena Natural Yoga Mat
The Prana Indigena Natural Yoga Mat (as the name suggests) is made from 100% natural materials and is very firm.
It’s not spongy at all and if good grip is what you’re after, then look no further than this mat.
Sturdiness and balance is important for practicing yoga on a carpet floor – so this is an amazing option.
- Very good size and ideal for anyone no matter their height
- Made from 100% natural materials and is very firm
- Strong grip – giving you more confidence and balance
- Has a bit of a rubbery smell
- Very heavy to carry around
This mat comes with plenty of room and it doesn’t matter how tall you are, you will have plenty of space to practice your poses on it.
It’s one of the best yoga mats for carpet floor mainly because of it’s sturdiness and grip.
8. Yogasana Yoga Mat
Made from 100% cotton, the Yogasana Yoga Mat is not exactly a cheap mat to buy.
However, it’s very light, washing machine friendly and will give your joints plenty of support.
Note: It needs to be cleaned on a regular basis.
- No smell/odour
- Provides good support for your joints – especially if you’re practicing on a hard carpet floor
- Organic and sustainable materials – perfect for anyone who is allergic to latex
- A lightweight mat which is very easy to carry around
- Washing machine friendly and durable
- Not the cheapest mat
- Needs to be cleaned often and slips on my surfaces
One thing customers love so much about this mat is it is good for the great outdoors and it is washing machine friendly.
It can handle being washed in washing machines without fading because it is durable.
Not the strongest grip on carpet – it wouldn’t be my first port of call if you’re practicing indoors.
9. Yoga Direct Extra Long Yoga Mat
The Yoga Direct Extra Long Yoga Mat is very comfortable, comes with a decent length and it’s built to last too.
Using this mat is so much fun because when you’re pressing up on it, you feel relaxed and confident all the time.
That’s mainly because of it’s grip – which is a huge bonus for practicing on carpet.
- A mat that has a very good length and it’s comfortable on the joints
- Makes yoga practice a lot of fun because it’s so sturdy and comfortable on carpet
- Doesn’t squish thanks to its stable thickness
- A very bulky mat to carry around
- A heavy duty mat
Although being bulky doesn’t suit everyone, this mat’s length is perfect enough to support you no matter how tall you are.
Plus it’s very comfortable on the joints, especially if you’re practicing on a carpet floor.
10. Jade Harmony Yoga Mat
Jade harmony is an organization that is known to make environmental friendly products and they did not disappoint with this mat.
It comes in three different sizes and offer great grip on carpet.
However, it is made of rubber.
- Comes in three different sizes
- Non-toxic materials
- Awesome padding that is not squishy
- Can be used for any style of yoga you practice
- Great grip and traction when it is wet or dry
- Quite expensive
- It is a very pricey mat
- Anyone who is allergic to rubber needs to stay clear of this mat
- Not very durable
- Very heavy and takes a long time to dry out
- Produces a rubber smell when you first use it
Even though this mat is heavy and can be a challenge when it comes to transporting it, it has so many good features that it’s a great buy.
It’s grip, thickness and stability makes it a great yoga mat option for carpet.
11. Liforme Yoga Mat
Although this mat is too heavy to be carried around all the time, there’s no denying its quality.
When you buy the Liforme Yoga Mat, you’ll notice that it comes with a bag for carrying.
This helps you save a small fortune on going out and finding a bag for the mat yourself.
Plus it has excellent traction for your safety and peace of mind, in case you sweat a lot when practicing yoga or your carpet is a little slippery.
- A very durable mat
- Made from natural rubber
- Very comfortable to use and comes with plenty of grip for carpet floors
- Very long and wider compared to many mats on the market
- Comes with a yoga bag
- A very heavy mat
- It is very expensive
- Smells of rubber when you first buy it
- There isn’t enough padding to support anyone with sore joints
- Dirt and sweat can leave marks on the mat
As far as durability goes, this is worth every penny because if you look after it well, you can easily have this mat for a very long time.
12. Shantihi Yoga Mat
The Shantihi Yoga Mat is loved by many people because it is very easy to clean after a session.
If you are allergic to latex, you will be happy to know that it is made from materials that are free from rubber and eco-friendly.
It has tons of grip and traction – so it’s certainly one of the best yoga mats for carpet.
- Very lightweight
- Comes with a bonus yoga eBook for customers
- Comes with a money back guarantee if you are not happy with it
- Offers great grip and traction
- Does not smell
- Very durable and made from materials that are eco-friendly
- If you have pets at home, this mat does collect hair
- The grip fails a little if you sweat a lot during your sessions
It’s also waterproof and if you sweat a lot during practice, just make sure you wipe it down before continuing.
Final Thoughts: Which Is The Best Yoga Mat For Carpet?
In my opinion, the Shantihi Yoga Mat is the best yoga mat for carpet because it’s very stable, durable and it gives you a great connection to the ground.
Plus it’s made from eco-friendly materials, odorless, affordable, lightweight and thick.
It’s everything you want in a yoga mat and while the rest on the mats on this list are great in their own right, the Shantihi Yoga Mat brings more to the table – or floor if you will!
How To Choose The Best Yoga Mat For Carpet Floor
If you want to be comfortable during your yoga sessions on a carpet floor, you must make sure that the mat you buy is fairly thick.
A standard yoga mat is around 1/8 inch thick while some are 1/6 or ¼ inches thick.
This is what you should be looking for when it comes to picking a yoga mat for carpet because anything less will make your sessions a nightmare.
The other thing to take into account is the thickness of your carpet.
The thicker your carpet, the more difficult it may be to balance properly.
This is how your body sticks to the mat during poses and you have to look for a mat that guarantees the highest stickiness.
This is because when your palms get sweaty, you will not fall over.
Eco-friendly mats are those that do not cause harm to the environment and made from a material that can be recycled.
While this is similar to stickiness to some degree, texture helps makes sure you keep your balance stable during your yoga practice.
Stickiness hold you in position – whilst the texture is what stops you from sliding or slipping.
It’s very important to look at texture when you’re buying a yoga mat because it’s a good way to prevent injuries – especially when practicing yoga on a carpet floor.
Many yoga mats on the market are made from organic cotton, recycled rubber and PVC.
When selecting a mat, look at the material carefully because if stickiness is something you’re, a mat made of PVC is perfect.
The stickier the mat, the more stable and confident you’re going to feel whilst practicing yoga on carpet.
Whilst comfort and stickiness are high on many people’s priority list when it comes to a yoga mat for carpet, price is important too.
And I get it:
If you don’t practice regularly, you might be a little hesitant about splashing out on an expensive yoga mat.
However, if you’re practicing yoga on carpet, sturdiness is so important.
It’s important to put your safety first.
Style is also something worth considering when it comes to picking a yoga mat because you want one that has the pattern and colors you like.
There is no point buying a mat that has a design you don’t like.
So always take your time to pick a mat that ticks all the boxes above and has style.
Disclaimer: relaxlikeaboss.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Last update on 2019-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API